Is Your Family Safe From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
A Safety Message from the City of Mesa’s Energy Resources Department
IS YOUR FAMILY SAFE FROM CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas that is produced as result of incomplete combustion when fuel burning appliances are not properly adjusted or ventilated.
The initial symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without fever) and will typically affect everyone in a household where CO is present. Symptoms may include tiredness, headaches, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision, or shortness of breath.
If CO poisoning is suspected; get fresh air immediately, seek medical attention if necessary, and call the City of Mesa at (480) 644-4277 (GASS) or 911.
Maintaining your natural gas appliances is the best way to safeguard your home from a natural gas accident. Always put safety first when using natural gas appliances of any kind. Your natural gas flame should be blue with a hint of yellow near the tip. A yellow flame indicates incomplete combustion and is potentially dangerous. Call a qualified contractor if you suspect your appliances are not operating properly.
Home Safety Tips:
- CO detectors are not required but are recommended.
- Follow manufacturers’ instructions for the care and use of gas appliances and equipment.
- Have your gas appliances installed and serviced by qualified industry professionals.
- Inspect and replace if necessary, all gas appliances, connectors, furnaces, vents, flues, chimneys, and gas lines to your home.
- Replace your furnace air filters monthly throughout the heating season.
- Never operate gasoline powered engines or charcoal grills in closed garages, basements, or buildings.
For additional information or home safety tips on CO poisoning, visit mesaaz.gov/energy.
- Safety Tips: Keep Your Home Safe From Carbon Monoxide (atlanta.cbslocal.com)