Comfort, Convenience, and Warmth… Made Possible By the Safe Use of Energy
COMFORT, CONVENIENCE, AND WARMTH…MADE POSSIBLE BY THE SAFE USE OF ENERGY
A Safety Message from the City of Mesa’s Energy Resources Department
Cold winter months usually mean an increase in the use of both fuel burning and electric heating appliances, including portable devices. Here are a few tips to help keep you safe and warm!
- ALWAYS follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a heating appliance of any type;
- If you have a natural gas furnace or other gas appliances, make sure everyone in your household knows the sights, sounds, or smell (rotten eggs) that may indicate a leak/emergency. Also make sure everyone knows what to do if an emergency occurs;
- If you have any fuel burning heating devices or systems, be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and install and maintain CO alarms;
- NEVER use devices not meant to heat a home such as your ovens or stove tops to “take the chill out”;
- Space heaters need space, all objects should be kept a safe distance away; and…
- NEVER leave an operating space heater unattended! Turn off or unplug the unit when not in use.
For additional home safety tips, visit mesaaz.gov/energy.